Malfunctioning Appliances Can Cause Damage to Your Electrical System

by | Jan 30, 2021 | Electrical Tips | 0 comments

Appliances have been a necessity for our day to day lives. It will be hard to survive even for a day without them around the house. However, malfunctioning appliances can cause harm to your electrical system. So, it’s best to ensure that everything is working properly. It will avoid power surges and other problems with your electrical system.

It’s necessary to check your appliances from time to time. That way, you can see if it’s time to fix or change the appliances around your house. Appliances malfunction will send some burst on your electrical circuit. When the electrical circuit closes, it means that something is wrong. Most of the time, it’s caused by malfunctioning appliances.

How Malfunctioning Appliances Cause Damage to Your Electrical System

1. By Physical Damage

Malfunctioning appliances can cause physical damage to the electrical system. This type of damage can burn the electric outlets as well as the light switches around your home. It’s easy to see since physical damage will show burn marks or it can even melt the plastic around the switch or outlets.

Sometimes, this power surge will not trip the electrical circuit. It can be detected by the smell from the burnt area so you will know when it happens. When this occurs, make sure to call a licensed electrician to check and fix the issue. It’s dangerous to deal with it yourself unless you’re a qualified electrician.

2. By Surge Damage

Using a surge protector for your electrical appliances is a good way to ensure that they will be protected. It will protect the sensitive microprocessors to prevent it from getting damaged by power surges. This can occur at any time when lightning strikes or when a power outage happens.

However, surge protectors can only protect your appliances externally. Surges can happen internally as well especially to some appliances such as your fridge or air conditioning unit. Even small surges can lead to damage to the electrical system over time. But the faulty appliances will send bigger surges causing damage.

3. By Fire Damage

When you ignore faulty appliances, it can cause surges internally. This will cause electrical short and it’s a fire hazard since it can spark a fire if left unnoticed. The worst-case scenario is the flares can end up igniting your insulation, curtains, and other things around the house that can easily get burned.

The necessary step to take is to always be aware of the signs when the appliance is already faulty. By proactively checking if your appliances need fixing, it can avoid fire damage to the electrical system which can lead to a disastrous result from a malfunctioning appliance. Add some smoke detectors and fire extinguishers as well to be alerted in case it happens.


Malfunctioning appliances can pose a threat to your safety. Electricity is helpful but dangerous at the same time. So, the best thing to do is to contact a licensed electrician right away. Get your appliances checked to make sure that they are not faulty. That way, you will have peace of mind knowing that your home is safe from any danger.